Some people think being a stay-at-home mom means I sit around and eat bon-bons all day. This is not true. Sometimes I eat cookies instead.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

I totally have the glees.

So, if you know me you may have gathered by now that I am not the hugest fan of my MIL. She's irritating, passive aggressive, and weirdly obsessed with my husband (her son). She blames me for taking him away from her. Seriously.

I remember the first Thanksgiving after our wedding, we were with MIL, her sister, and her sister's husband. They were asking the generic questions to me about my family. I believe they asked about my brother, and I responded with something about how he was still living with my parents at the time. MIL proceeded to say (in a BABY TALK voice) "I wish Mr. Ryan would move back in with me!" (And yes, she really does/did call him "Mr. Ryan." She tried to call me "Miss Kerri" a few times, and I told her to can it.)

Ryan, to his credit, got all uncomfortable and said, "Mom, I'm MARRIED." She gave him a blank stare. I don't think she understood where he was going with that. But then, this is the woman that has poster-sized photographs of Ryan hanging up in her bedroom.

But anyway, back to my glees. Now, we hadn't really spent much time with MIL lately. She had babysat for a few hours a few weeks ago, but otherwise I hadn't had to see her since Christmas. Yay! But I grudgingly agreed that she could come over the other day for a little while to visit and see Sir.

She shows up, Sir takes one look at her, and bursts into tears. He is WAILING. He wouldn't let me put him down. If I did, he would start crying and follow me around. She couldn't TOUCH him. So she starts making the excuses. "He must be tired." Me: "Actually, he just woke up from his nap and ate lunch. He was in a great mood all morning." MIL: "Well, he's just shy. Babies are shy." Me: "James would leave me for the barista at Starbucks if I looked away for a minute." Which is true, Sir loves strangers. He thinks they are awesome.

MIL harrumphed, and then after about 20 minutes of her pouting and making snarky passive aggressive comments, when it became glaringly obvious that Sir had no intention of going anywhere near her, she left.

Totally have the glees. And I MAY have picked Sir up and whispered "Good job!" in his ear as she was leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment